Pietà – Nicolas Poussin
We know of the weeping Notre-Dame of La Salette, of the paintings of the Dolorosa, of the Seven Sorrows of Mary. We are silenced by the image of the Pietà. But we know, as well, that Our Lady is also the Mediatrix, the Untier of Knots, the Queen of Peace, the Mother of Mercy, the Destroyer of Heresies and Protectress of her children.
Johann George Melchior Schmidtner
Here is a lovely story, from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Saint Mary the Protectress – the church was gutted but the ikons survived.
Here is the main altar of Virgin Mary Protectress in Ptuskja Gora, Slovenia. Hah.
- Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiæ,
- vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.
- ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevæ,
- ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
- in hac lacrimarum valle.
- Eia, ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos
- misericordes oculos ad nos converte;
- et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,
- nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.
- O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria.
- ℣ Ora pro nobis sancta Dei Genitrix.
- ℟ Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi.
Image rights here.